Truck Driver Fatigue Lawyer
Northern Virginia Truck Driver Fatigue Lawyer
Driver fatigue poses an unreasonable danger to everyone on the road. As the exhausted driver starts to drift in and out of consciousness while behind the wheel, everyone is at risk. When a truck driver attempts to complete their route despite suffering from fatigue, they magnify dramatically the hazards of this unsafe, reckless act. If you have sustained injuries in a truck accident that was not your fault, there are fairly high odds to suggest that truck driver fatigue played a large role in the collision. Come to The Strong Law Firm to find reliable and time-tested legal advocacy. Our Northern Virginia truck driver fatigue lawyer can apply 35+ years of legal and trial experience to your claim to pursue the best possible outcome and financial recovery.
Federal Regulations to Prevent Exhaustion
Truck driver exhaustion is not a small problem in the United States. It has become so widespread that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has tried to address the issue. They have taken multiple steps to deter and prevent truckers from getting behind the wheel if they are tired. Current legislation bars truckers from working a shift longer than 14 hours with only 11 hours behind the wheel. In addition, the law permits no work week with more than 70 scheduled hours. While these federal regulations are helpful, revision and improvement is necessary for several reasons:
- Driving 11 hours in one day is still quite a long time. Expecting anyone, even a seasoned trucker, to not feel fatigued and with heavy eyelids after such an extended duration of driving is unrealistic.
- Drivers and their parent companies can sidestep the 11 hour restriction through loopholes. For example, a driver can work beyond 70 hours in one week in certain situations if they only travel within a 100-air mile radius for all journeys.
- FMCSA penalties exacted against a negligent trucker or trucking company only benefit the state with fines. They do nothing to help innocent drivers who have suffered injuries in related accidents.
Consequences of Fatigued Driving
The science has not been exacted yet. But studies suggest that fatigued driving can negatively affect the performance of a motorist just as much, if not more than, alcoholic beverages and intoxication. Losing hours of sleep or performing the same task over and over, such as driving along stretches of highway, can be draining to the mind and exhausting to the body. Operating a car in such a condition is inexcusable.
If a trucker becomes fatigued behind the wheel, they may exhibit the following behaviors:
- Reduced reaction time
- Failure to brake at intersections
- Swerving on the road
- Speeding to reach destination sooner
In Northern Virginia, our personal injury law firm has become synonymous with strength and dedication. When you turn to The Strong Law Firm, you allow a team of legal professionals to represent you in your time of need. Each one of us brings unique abilities, skills, and experience to your case. Thus, by working together and tackling the challenges head-on, we will all we can to secure maximum compensation on your behalf. Call today to speak to a truck driver fatigue lawyer who can help.