Slip and Fall Accident Compensation
If you have been injured due to a slip or fall in the state of Virginia, you may be eligible to receive slip and fall accident compensation. A Virginia slip and fall lawyer can be a powerful asset in your corner. Call our office today for a free case evaluation to learn more about your rights. In the meantime, here is some important information to know.
Slip and Fall Accident Compensation | Common Causes
Property owners have a responsible to eliminate hazards and keep their premises safe for visitors. The majority of property owners take proper precautions. Yet, when unsafe conditions are left, slips and falls can happen. The vast majority of Virginia slip and fall cases are caused by unsafe conditions. They include:
- Improper lighting
- Inadequate signage
- Broken railings or steps
- Slippery or icy sidewalks
- Lack of handrails
- Wet floors
- Obstructions in hallways
If a property owner was aware of an unsafe condition and didn’t take steps to fix the problem or warm visitors, that owner may be held liable for injuries caused as a result. Yet, even if the property owner wasn’t aware of the hazard, he or she can be held liable if adequate maintenance was not conducted.
Slip and Fall Accident Compensation | Types of Compensation
Injuries sustained in a slip or fall accident can have significant impacts on your day-to-day life. Financially, you may have medical bills and rehabilitation costs to pay for. You might have lost wages, after spending time away from work to recover.
Victims have several avenues for recovering compensation for their injuries. They include:
- Compensatory damages. Compensatory damages compensate victims for any costs related to their accident. This includes financial and non-financial costs. This type of compensation could be used to pay for:
- Medical bills, rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of normal life
- Punitive damages. In cases of gross negligence or malice, you can seek punitive damages. This is compensation that is awarded on top of any compensatory damages. It is awarded by a jury, if your case goes to trial.
If you are seeking slip and fall accident compensation, our Virginia slip and fall lawyers want to help. Call us today for a free case evaluation.